Summer for me is a time of minimal makeup and a whole lot of skincare. Winter is of course notorious for drying out skin, but I’ve always found that summertime is when I notice it the most. Maybe it’s the allergies or maybe it’s the fact that my skin just isn’t so covered up, but either way this is the season where I focus on keeping it happy and my whole look simple. Here are a few things that help:
1. Burt’s Bees Hand Salve – Don’t let the name fool you, put this on any dry spot you might have and watch it work wonders. It definitely feels greasy at first, but once it soaks through the skin even the scaliest of problem spots are so much softer. I do put this one my hands (of course), but my favorite spot is actually my toes. The knuckles on my toes are really dry and it’s a big problem during sandals season. This little salve kicks that problem in the butt and smells amazing too. It’s a very herb and oil-esque smell, almost like something you’d stick under your nose when you have a cold except so much better. I genuinely want some of this as a perfume, and I probably go through so much simply so I can smell it on my hands.
2. Nude Dude Eyeshadow in Fit – If you have blue eyes like me, this is the perfect little shadow. I’m not big on eye shadow. I’ve never learned how to do it properly, but I do think this one is perfect for an easy, on its own color. It’s a nice orangey bronze that really makes my eye color pop and makes for the perfect easy summer make up look.
3. Klorane Smoothing and Relieving Patches – This is certainly more of an indulgent product. I’ve always had awful allergies, but this year’s been particularly harsh, especially on my eyes. When they are angry and red and swollen, I still some of these puppies on and instantly feel so. Damn. Relaxed. These patches feeling almost like gel and help to reduce swelling with their perfectly cool formula.
4. John Frieda Go Blonder Controlled Lightening Spray– I should probably use this stuff more in the winter when my hair goes practically brunette, but the summer is when I’m really looking for that sun kissed blonde look. As I get older and can’t spend literally all of summer outside (damn you office jobs), I go for the bottle stuff. This stuff can be a bit harsh, so don’t use too much, but once or twice a week I’ll spray it in and then blow dry my hair. It’s like a grown up lemon juice – its activated by heat and works to subtly lighten hair if you don’t want to bother with a full dye.
5. Aveeno Positively Radiant Face Moisturizer – This moisturizer was a game changer. Not only did it help clear up some seriously stubborn acne, but it also just makes me look and feel over all more healthy and awake.